Sunday, November 3, 2013

Life: A Learning Experience

Before I became a father I was more concerned with working hard to provide for my wife (at that time), politics, war, or spending time with friends..  Although I always wanted to be a father, I never really knew just how much my life would change... For the better.

Nearly four years ago God blessed me with a handsome bundle of joy we named Jaxon..  I remember praying the night before he was born while laying next to his mother in the hospital room.. As love for these two flowed down my face in the form of tears I silently prayed for them both.  I told God I didn't know anything really of being a father. I had several great examples of fathers in my life, and what I did know I learned from them.  As I softly prayed for my son who would be born in just 12 hours I asked God to teach me to be the best father I could possible be. I wanted to be an example to him, one that I could be proud of..





As the time came closer, my son's mother was rolled into the OR room for a scheduled C-Section I quietly, yet nervous, excited, and proudly followed her.  As I sat near her head while the doctors worked to bring our son into the world all the things that matter before to me, seemed to vanished... It was as though the only thing that really matter was about to be make his debut.... 

In an instance my life changed...  I would now spend my moments trying to stay ahead of the bumps on the head, the cuts, scrapes, and uh-ohs that seem to follow little boys around.  I struggled with the load of fatherhood, working two jobs, and the countless other duties that were upon me.  Looking back now I can see places where it appears I may have failed in areas of my life... but becoming a father is not one of them.. I may not be a perfect man, but to one little boy... I am a perfect dad... 

As a single dad, I have learned that life is not all about the parties, working long hours... life is about spending every possible moment with your children, your family, and those who make your life richer just by being a part of your life..  This past year may have proved as one of my hardest as I struggled with the diagnosis of cancer, and being an awesome daddy all at the same time but God provide me strength and blessed me with some amazing friends and family to support me each step of the way. 

A Single Dad that ROCKS!

Jesse


No comments:

Post a Comment